Saturday, January 31, 2009

Motivation

Signing up for (running) races makes me keep running. That, and the fact that I eat my weight in sugar, candy, chocolate and did I mention sugar most days. Lately, I've gotten less interested in the fact that I'm consuming more than I'm burning off, so my back-up method is kicking in. It was that split-second decision I made on December 31 to register for the ING half marathon before the entry fee skyrocketed $20. Right now, I'm cursing that saved $20 and trying not to punch myself in the face for wasting the $60 I spent on the early bird registration. Good grief, those race weasels know me too well.

So, here I am. Approximately two months before race day and just thinking about a 5k is enough to get me sweaty and heavy breathing. This is not the first time I've put myself in this position. It's one of those sick little mind games I play just so I'll keep coming back. I'm just waiting on the day my joints and lower back finish seeking their revenge on me for doing this to them.

All that is to say, it is on like Donkey Kong. The training, the below-freezing temperatures, whatever it takes to make sure I get four safety pins and a number...and OF COURSE the T-shirt that says I ran the ING half. Cheers to motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment